Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Butterfly Hat


One lazy afternoon, I wandered into a local antique shop and was amazed to find a selection of old knitting and craft books. I saw a copy of a book titled New Directions in Fair Isle Knitting (now say it out loud!) and excitedly took it home. It was filled with all sorts of fair isle patterns based on animals, plants, airplanes and other interesting motifs. Several months later I was thinking about knitting a fair isle hat, so I pulled out this book and thumbed through it for inspiration. In it, I found an adorable butterfly chart. I made some slight modifications to the chart (there was a lot more to it than just the butterfly, but the butterfly was all I wanted), pulled out 3 colors of yarn, figured out my gauge, and set to work knitting what might very well be the cutest hat I have ever knit! Very few things are cuter than pink butterflies.

This pattern works out to about a women's size medium, by the way. I haven't really thought about sizes, but if making a different size interests you: the butterfly pattern uses a multiple of 8 sts. As long as you get gauge and have a multiple of 8, you should be fine.

Materials:
3 different colors of worsted weight yarn
I have used Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted in the following colors:
 MC- (M-76) Misty Blue
 CC- (M-84) Mauve Dust
 CC2-(M-05) Onyx
16" circular needle, size 9
Size 9 double pointed needles
A Yarn Needle

Gauge: 5 sts and 6 rows = 1 inch.

Directions:
With Main Color (MC) yarn and circular needle, CO 96 sts and join into the round. K one round with MC.
Join Contrast Color (CC) and work 6 rnds in K2 P2 ribbing, knitting the knit stitches with MC and purling with the CC.
Break CC. K 3 rnd with MC only.
Begin Butterfly Chart.
Break CC and K 3 more rnds with MC only.
Join CC again, and begin K2 P2 ribbing using MC for K sts and CC for purl sts. Work in this 2 color K2 P2 ribbing for 11 rnds (2 inches of ribbing above butterfly chart.)
Begin decreasing for the top as follows, working in pattern stitch on even numbered rounds:
1. *K2 P2 ribbing for 5 sts, K2tog* around
3. *K2 P2 ribbing for 4 sts,  K2tog* around
5. *K2 P2 ribbing for 3 sts, K2tog* around
7. *K2 P2 ribbing for 2 sts, K2tog* around
9. *K2 P2 ribbing for 1 st, K2tog* around
11. K2tog around
At this point, there should be few enough stitches on the needle for you to finish the top, if memory serves. Break the yarn and draw it through the remaining stitches at least 3 times. Weave in your ends, and your hat is done!

3 comments:

  1. oh nice! I'd love to give this one a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun to make. I think I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have so many cute knitting patterns - I am looking for any sesame street characters as children's winter hats. do you have one to share? Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete